"Nexigen provides Cincinnati the best IT consultants on demand." Jon Salisbury Nexigen Co-Founder & Chief Technology Officer.
This article is to walk you through the history of Technology & IT consulting and talk about some of the new strategies for purchasing consulting services for technology. Finally we walk you through consulting practices of Greater Cincinnati's leading technology consulting firm, Nexigen.
A consultant (from Latin: consultare "to discuss") is an educated professional who provides expert advice in a particular area such as cyber security, technology, cloud solutions as well as programming and development of software needs.
A consultant in Cincinnati is usually an expert or an experienced professional in a specific field and has a wide knowledge of the subject matter. The role of consultant outside the medical sphere (where the term is used specifically for a grade of doctor) can fall under one of two general categories:
- Internal consultant - someone who operates within an organization but is available to be consulted on areas of his specialization by other departments or individuals (acting as clients); or
- External consultant - someone who is employed externally to the client (either by a consulting firm or some other agency) whose expertise is provided on a temporary basis, usually for a fee. Consulting firms range in size from sole proprietorships consisting of a single consultant, small businesses consisting of a small number of consultants, to mid- to large consulting firms, which in some cases are multinational corporations. This type of consultant generally engages with multiple and changing clients, which are typically companies, non-profit organizations, or governments.
In Cincinnati IT / technology consultants normally provide internal consulting solutions by staffing a consultant as a solution. This works well if you need a full time resource on site to provide services ranging from program management, product development, as well as infrastructure and development services. The problem is this staffer is usually a hired gun and you will possibly move on to a better paying job mid project. This can slow down the project and ultimately may require a project reset at times.
Hiring an external consultant in our opinion is a better bet without the staffing mechanism.
Nexigen focuses IT Consulting efforts on the external approach for the following reasons.
- Team Approach - We believe that external consulting allows for the consultant to still maintain access to a large group of team mates who can help on demand should the consultant need the additional help in deeper topics.
- Accurate Billing / Estimates - you only pay for the hours estimated. If we make a bad estimate we are controlled with our not to exceed within the statement of work. This really helps to ensure you stay within budget, often staffing solutions will keep going well past estimated date of completion.
- Consistency through project - By picking an outside vendor, that person is stuck to the project forever if needed. Compare this to a staffing solution and this allows you to not have to worry about the key man leaving the project mid stream.
- Not staffing (BETTER) - Nexigen really believes in a team approach meaning the single consultant will never be a single point of failure. This is a key difference to an IT staffing approach which is almost a non consultant approach.
How we provide technology consulting to the Greater Cincinnati area:
- Discover - We perform an in-depth discovery of the problem / issue / solution we have been brought in to solve.
- Data Collection
- Competition understanding
- Market availability
- SWOT (Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities Threats)
- Design - Top down design
- Most companies really focus on bottom up designs that start with a specific vendor, where as we focus on a top down approach making the problem / solution the starting point
- Creation of feature / requirements list that will be used in talks with potential solutions
- Focus on 2 core items which are Latency and Cost
- Maximize impact on each dollar spent
- Custom vs Off the shelf comparison
- Keep 80 / 20 rule as a core principal
- Implement - Test & Improve
- Implementation begins with an agile approach with an MVP offering
- Roll out in phases with iterative improvements based on feedback
- Strong leadership and expectation management
- We find most roll outs will need slight tweaks along the way and with our model we allow for these to exist and not slow down the project
- Nexigen has a strong managed service offering along with our technology consulting solution. We can make just about anything "as a service", meaning once a tool or solution is implemented we can handle the servicing of the solution to ensure we don't inflate your pay roll and keep even stronger SLA's.
Great Cincinnati has never had a more flexible & capable technology / IT Consulting firm than Nexigen. We take a very structured approach which provides innovation in every solution we deliver. From our development firm www.nimblsoft.com to our IOT experts at www.smartlink.city we truly have more capabilities than any other technology consulting firm in Greater Cincinnati.
If your company is looking for an upgrade please schedule a consultation with one of our outstanding Account Managers or email email@example.com for more information.